8 TIPS TO START BRING BACK YOUR NATURAL CURLS
1. LEARN YOUR POROSITY TYPE
It's the most CRUCIAL information you can learn when it comes to understanding/managing the true texture & anatomy of your hair. It’s the key factor to finding out which products and techniques will work best for you & your beautiful curls! Without this basic understanding, it can be stressful, overwhelming and expensive to develop/transition to try new products & develop a natural, healthy hair care regimen. Your hair’s porosity is the true way to find out what your hair loves & hates. It’s how you determine “this product? or that product?” as well as “this technique? or that technique?”. It takes the confusion out & genuinely gives you an understanding as to what will work for your hair because what works for one curl friend, may not work for another. If you have severe heat damage (or those thing stringy ends) or permanent dye, you most likely have high porosity hair. High porosity is anything that has permanently altered the natural state of your curls. To learn more about your porosity type, check out our blog titled "Find your porosity" under the Porosity tab at the top of the navigation bar.
2. THE BIG CHOP!
- Cutting off dead ends or “high porosity ends” that do not match your new growth or incoming hair is a must!
- If the ends of of your hair are noticeably thinner, less curly and simply "not the same as the rest of your hair" let it go babe.
- If the big chop isn't doable, get a trim every 3-4 months.
3. NO HEAT OR CHEMICAL DYES!
- Stay away from all heat! This includes blow drying, diffusing (for now) and flat irons.
- Try to go at least 3-4 months at a time, without heat styling
- Refrain from getting any chemical/bleach dyes. The longer you go, the better off your curls will be.
4. USE DEEP CONDITIONER ONCE A WEEK
- Significantly adds moisture and helps to retain elasticity
- Every week is crucial!
- Adding our flax seed heat cap will tremendously help to add moisture and health back into your strands!
5. GET THE ESSENTIAL STYLING PRODUCTS THAT WORK FOR YOUR POROSITY TYPE
- Finding the right type of leave-in conditioner/curl cream or milk, mousse and gel (key products) that fits your curls needs is key!
- After you've learned your porosity type, under the "Porosity" tab at the top of the home page, click on your type & there, you can find key products that your porosity type needs and craves
6. SWITCH TO EVERYTHING SILK/SATIN
- Using a silk/satin pillowcase is crucial! It’s one of the best and easiest ways to preserve your curls, reduce wrinkles and sleep creases!
- We know it’s not the cutest, BUT a satin bonnet is the ultimate game changer when it comes to protecting your curls. It allows you to do minimal work to your curls the next day, every night that you wear it. (A satin wrap will work also, it’s just harder for them to stay put)
- Satin scrunchies help to decrease hair creases and frizz
7. A MICROFIBER TOWEL
- Switching from regular towels to a microfiber towel can save you so much moisture! Cotton tends to dry out our curls, tremendously!
8. STAY CONSISTENT!
- Apply every step, every time, every day!
- Be patient with your curls and journey.
- Do not expect big changes with little time