We get it, trying to choose what products to use can def be a headache. There’s so many to choose from, with no guarantee that they’ll be good, not to mention, products can be pricey
That’s why we've put together a list of 9 different medium porosity styling combos for you to try, that are guaranteed to work, curlfriend!
As long as you have a conditioner, to moisturize curls and a gel, to lock and seal in that moisture, you are good to go!
Make sure to use plenty of water when styling, like, have your hair drippin wet! And always style hair in at least two-three sections, just to make sure every strand of curl gets the moisture they deserve!
Below, you will find the reasons as to why you should use a conditioner and a gel. You also have additional tips on what kind of conditioner to use and why
A thicker based leave-in to control frizz, or a lighter conditioner to enhance volume, but remember, a little goes a lonnngg way!
- A thicker leave-in or curl cream will allow for better penetration into the hair shaft and better frizz control. It also creates wonders by closing/sealing your cuticles and giving you more moisture.
- A leave-in conditioner can be great on your hair as well. If hair seems to be weighed down easily, this is a perfect fit for your curls.
- Trying new products and finding out which one your hair likes best is key! Just like our bodies, our hair is prone to needing different nutrients at different times, especially when it comes to weather. Trust your hair in that it will let you know what it does and doesn't like. You will start to notice less/more frizz and less/more product buildup. It’s important to pay attention to your hair needs and wants.
- Starting with a curl defining cream would be best and you can decide from there if you need a thinner product or not.
- Make sure the first five ingredients include humectants, like glycerin and/or castor oil and apply with warm water.
- PRO TIP: Easy on the humectants in the summer or high humidity. Humectants absorb the water in the humid air, which can easily soak up too much moisture, causing frizz. Double up on gel instead or use an anti-humectant this time of year.
- Provides a light-weight hold and volume.
- Mousse and the brush can and will reduce frizz, enhance/define curl pattern, and create beautiful curl clumps.
- Your curls can go with or without mousse. Giving it a try won't hurt, but if you start to notice additional frizz, your curls aren't feelin’ it. Try the curl method starting with curl cream, mousse, and then gel but also try the curl method with a detangle spray, curl defining cream, and gel. Testing out different products with different techniques will allow you to get to know your hair better and what it needs and wants.
- Provides a tremendous amount of shape, hold and curl definition when styling.
- Creates long lasting curls
- Non drying or damaging
- Increases elasticity and flexibility to your tresses
- Creates a “crunch” but that’s ok, a pinch of oil can get rid of that!
- Use a “cheap” gel when doing slick back ponytails or any other updo style. You don't want to use up all your “good” gel on hair that doesn't need defined curls.
To save you from hassle, long styling times, and to create the best curls, don't forget to grab your Cays Curls Styler Brush, Infinite Sprayer, Sectioning Clips & Microfiber Towel
*The following products listed below range from $5.99 all the way up to $25.99, so pick which product and price works for you, and get to stylin’!
For lots more product recommendations, join our email list to get a full list of curly hair products, ranging from shampoo, all the way to gels, oils & diffusers!